NEWS CELEBRITY ENTERTAINMENT FASHION HEALTH HOOK UP LEAKED LIFESTYLE MUSIC RELATIONSHIP VIDEOS

Saturday, April 28, 2018

My Journey To The United States Was Spiritually Inspired — Mike Okri

Get Best Daily Health Tips Here
*Says: ‘I am collaborating with three female singers to remix my hit songs’

Mike Okri, one  of Nigeria’s finest musicians who dominated the airwaves in the 80s is a legend any day. He left the shores of this country when the ovation was loudest, and after sojourning in the United States for about 10 years, the ‘Omoge’ crooner returned home in 2011.

Since then, he has been working underground with some female singers to remake his three evergreen songs, “Omoge”, “Time Na Money” and ‘Rhumba Dance.’ In this engaging interview, the veteran singer whose twin boys are also taking after him in music reveals that his journey to the United States was spiritual, adding that his coming back  home was not only to reclaim his place in the music industry but also, to explore the business aspect of showbiz.

Why did you suddenly disappear from the scene when the ovation was loudest? 

I didn’t have any solid reason why it happened. I feel it was just spiritual, that was what happened. At that time there were too many things happening around me and my God wanted to protect me. That was why I left for the United States. I have been on and off, watching and I can say that looking at the musical terrain in Nigeria, it’s very vibrant. But there’s still a lot we need to do to be able to harness the billions of naira out there.


Your fans thought you abandoned music in search of greener pasture in the US

No I didn’t, I just wouldn’t have been able to get follow ups in terms of albums. But I’m still very active. While I was in the US, I was not doing music. I was into writing and when I was not writing, I was doing some kind of counseling work, which means I am still very active. It’s sad the way we run things here. I can list out a lot of people who have left for the United States. My coming back to Nigeria doesn’t mean I’m coming back to music. The truth is that I have always been doing music even though I have not had a follow up album in the past 26 years.

Since you returned to the country, what have you been doing?

I have been in the studio trying to put things together with the younger ones to see how we can do collaborations.

How many of them are you presently working with ?

 Fortunately, I am involved with only the female singers; They are about three, and we are trying to remix three of my most popular songs, “Omoge”, “Time na Money” and “Rhumba Dance.”

Interestingly, your twin boys are taking after you in music

I’m happy about that. They listen to me and they are doing really well. They are level headed and showing willingness to go the extra mile to prosper in all they do.

The first time you went into the studio, did you believe you would go this far?

 I have always been a dreamer and a dreamer never settle for anything less than what he wants. I have never felt so defeated or quit as a result of frustration. Even Odion Iruoje, one of the prominent producers of our time turned me down twice. I didn’t go into the studio as a novice. Rather I entered the studio as a back up artiste. I have been doing back up for big artistes like Onyeka Onwenu and other big acts. This assured me that whenever it got to my turn I would do massively well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment